One of my go to places to eat when I’m home in Cali is Kappo Honda in Fountain Valley. This is probably my favorite place to eat when I come home (besides In N Out). Kappo Honda serves up delicious Japanese comfort food, something I have yet to find in NYC.
We started with two different skewers: Beef tongue and Chicken Skin.
Beef tongue can be so tender, just like pot roast. This was a bit chewier, but the flavor was wonderful.
I mean how can you go wrong with crispy chicken skin?
We also ordered:
Mixed Tsukemono, I love me some Japanese pickled veggies.
Tarakasu – AKA butterfish
Melt in your mouth like butter. Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion serves this up and both are equally good, (one is just more expensive than the other… Guess which one?)
- Sesame Chicken, Crispy fried chicken goodness.
- Nasu Miso – Stewed Eggplant in Miso with ground beef. This is my favorite way to eat eggplant. It’s so savory.
- Yaki Onigiri with Ume (salty plum). I love rice balls, especially grilled rice balls. Comfort food.
- Braised Pork Belly with Spinach and Mustard. This pork belly is fall apart tender. The broth is light and the spinach really brings a nice balance to the whole dish.
- Chawan Mushi. It’s a savory hot egg custard. Very light in flavor and the texture is like soft tofu.
Cold Soba – buckwheat noodles. Perfect for a hot summer day
Look at the side eye my grandmama gave me for eating pork. She should talk, she will eat bacon.
I know a lot of the food might seem a bit crazy for those that have never had it. Try it. I bet you’ll love it.
For more info please visit their website.